Wednesday, January 1, 2014

How Processed is your breakfast?


I recently had a woman come up to me, and she let me know what she was unhappy with the extra weight she had been carrying in her abdominal area. Now this woman was in her 60’s- and although she exercised regularly- she mentioned to me she never paid attention to what she ate. Ever…. I’ll call this woman by the letter M.
M: “Do you think I’m adding muscle?” She pointed to her legs, and then abdomen.
Me: Maybe in your legs, but that’s not muscle in your belly.
M: “Well I don’t eat bread, or anything bad really..”
Me: Ok, what do you eat for breakfast?
M: “Eggos”
Me: “Ok….”
M: “But they are whole wheat!”
I briefly began explaining to her that if even a grain is whole wheat, or white, or red or whatever the new terms the government is using to sell Americans more wheat products, your body still processes it like a carbohydrate. Also, by eating the whole wheat Eggo without any fat, or protein, this immediately spike up your blood sugar. I gave her a few recommendations about adding more protein to her breakfast to balance her blood sugar.
M: “Well I don’t have any blood sugar problems”
We talked a little more about this, but there is only so much you can explain in 5 minutes J
Out of curiosity I did look up what ingredients are used in the “whole grain eggos”.
This is what it looks like:

 Water, enriched flour, whole wheat flour, vegetable oil (soybean and palm oil –yum!) egg whites, wheat bran, sugar, baking soda, sodium ALUMINUM phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate, malt flavoring, whey, soy lecithin, vitamin a palmitate, reduced iron, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin, calcium pantothenate, folic acid, vitamin B12.
Don’t you love the taste of aluminum?
Read your labels- this is what you are putting into your body. 

No comments:

Post a Comment